Metroline have a vacancy for a forward thinking, highly motivated Engineering Manager to join our team. A position in this constantly evolving department rarely becomes available, and attracts a competitive salary and excellent development and career prospects.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for ensuring the provision of sufficient vehicles at the required standard of serviceability, reliability and presentation to meet our operational requirements in full. These responsibilities must be achieved in a safe, efficient and cost effective manner.
Must have a comprehensive knowledge of Legal requirements and the Road transport Act relating to Passenger Carrying Vehicles. CPC would be an advantage.
- Responsible to the Garage Manager (GM) for ensuring that sufficient serviceable vehicles are available at all times to meet operational requirements;
- Organise, control and monitor engineering and logistics activity at his/her garage(s) making use of company management systems such as FMS where appropriate and as directed in company policy. This management responsibility covers the full 24 hour operational day to optimise staff costs, utilisation and performance, and ensure the highest possible standards of maintenance, repair & reliability are achieved in keeping with the company’s undertakings to VOSA and TfL;
- Exercise close financial control and ensure garage engineering outputs are achieved within Budget;
- Supported by Supervisors and/or Leading Hands under his/her control, responsible for initial investigation of technical problems at local level, involving the Metroline Technical Dept and external Suppliers as appropriate. Where such issues have wider implications for other Garages or the Metroline fleet, EMs are always to notify the Technical Dept;
- Initiating Warranty recovery action for all items changed under warranty at a Garage within his or her area of responsibility using FMS where appropriate. EMs are to ensure all aspects of warranty and parts tracking procedures are followed within their garages;
- Assisting Garage Managers and Safety Standards Managers to investigate and monitor vehicle accidents thereby minimising accident related costs;
- Liaise with Garage Manager to minimize and ensure the correct allocation of Lost Mileage and driver cross charges;
- Responsible for organising and monitoring the daily cleaning and maintenance of garage premises, plant, tools and equipment to ensure these are kept at an appropriate standard commensurate with H&S requirements;
- Dealing with all aspects of staff discipline and has the authority to dismiss employees within the agreed disciplinary and attendance at work procedures;
- Deal with all day-to-day matters involving local trades union representatives, to ensure the smooth operation of the engineering facility;
- Promote awareness and ensure the implementation of all mandatory Health & Safety procedures and legislation, through training, mentoring and discipline;
- Lead by example the implementation of, and compliance with, all aspects of the Metroline Quality Management System;
- Fully support Business Improvement initiatives and LEAN events, and pro-actively drive Continuous Improvement and Best Practice in their garages;
- At pre-determined times, act as Metroline on-call Engineering Manager at weekends;
- Supporting Metroline environmental policy and associated initiatives.
- Must have a sound engineering background in the maintenance/repair of passenger carrying or large goods vehicles including a comprehensive knowledge of vehicle systems and layouts;
- Able to prioritise workload to meet deadlines within defined budgetary limits;
- Have a sound knowledge of, company vehicle types, maintenance procedures, working arrangements, and relevant VOSA legislation;
- Must have gained an engineering qualification to at least an NVQ level 3 or equivalent.
Competencies & Skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Must be PC literate;
- Ability to develop and maintain good relations with others, both internally and externally;
- Ability to manage your own and others workload and prioritise tasks effectively;
- Strong leadership, influencing, coaching and training skills;
- A sound working knowledge of bus service operation;
- An understanding of the company’s obligations to TFL.
How to apply
Please send a covering letter of application and CV to:
Samantha Smith, HR Advisor, ComfortDelGro House, 329 Edgware Road, Cricklewood, London, NW2 6JP. Alternatively, please email your application to [email protected]